Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Opiate continued…

Ok, I have come to a few decisions on this one. First, I think a part of Christianity or Christ following is suppose to be an opiate. It is suppose to remove pain and bring some peace. Not ultimate peace but I think in the Christ life there are moments, glimpses of what peace is and should be. In worship we can go to a place where we connect with God and the experience transcends the cares and worries of this world.

This past Sunday was powerful. God moved in worship and the Spirit was truly present. A woman who has only been to our worship a few times came forward crying with the desire to reconnect with God, to begin the journey again. That happens because something is removed. Whether it is fear, pressure or some other hindrance, it is only when it is removed that people respond. It is in those moments that people see Jesus and His glory. I don’t know and I don’t need to know, but I did see the power of the cross, the Spirit of God touching her life. That doesn’t happen without relief from burdens.

Peter said “cast your burdens unto Jesus and he will carry you through.” That is pure opiate.

I am also sure that if I don’t help this young lady connect with a spiritual mentor or give her support she may easily get devoured. If I don’t have a place to equip her then I am in trouble. So yes, a part of our walk is an opiate, our feet can get pretty sour at times following Jesus, but it is not all there is. The other parts are equipping and service.

So yes a part of our Christian experience is opiate, but there is more to just that in the Christ life. Not only can I deliver the drug as a Pastor, I should, as long as I don’t create addiction to pain medication.

2 Comments:

Blogger RD said...

Thanks for your thoughts. I was discussing some similar things with a friend recently. I was making some comparisons between church as a hospital vs. taxidermy. Many churches are trying to "preserve" christians in a lifeless state, thus the taxidermy analogy. I was advocating a hospital approach. My friend suggested that instead of viewing the church as a hospital, we could be even more specific and see church as a "field hospital." We come, we are healed (not perfectly yet, but healed none the less) and sent back into the frey. This is no country club hospital... this is a place to be repaired for the fight. I thought his clarification to my analogy was a good one. God bless you in your field ministry.

10:24 PM  
Blogger Darin L. Hamm said...

r

I think you make a wonderful observation. Thanks for adding to the discussion. The focus is building them to be out there not hiding them in here.

Thanks.

6:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home