Thursday, January 04, 2007

Complications

There were tears in her eyes. She had come to our medical mission the past two times with her son who had a bad cough. She related that the man she lived with had kicked her and their son out. What a mess. The boy’s father had come with them that night because he didn’t believe that his son really did have the onset of asthma.

The boy has a bright smile and loves to talk. We have talked a lot these past two Wednesday nights. He thinks the world of his father and you could tell that his presence meant a lot to him.

What a broken world we live in. It is in these moments that you can see the need for redemption and yet from a very practical stand point what do you do?

These are the kind of things that come at you when you are willing to insert yourself into the world. Nothing clean or neat or inspiring, just real life and real brokenness and a real need for redemption.

I figured something out though last night. We had some people who have left who didn’t like how I handled situations. They wanted big prayers and flowery pronouncements. They wanted to feel like we cared. They wanted invitations that were powerful and moving delivered from a safe distance. Let’s talk about our problems but let’s certainly not get too involved because involved is messy.

I figured out why they didn’t like me last night as I listened to this women’s story. I don’t have flowery answers or moving responses. I have a practical streak a mile wide that says what can we do to really help with redemption in these peoples lives. NO placebo of experience but real hope.

You see I have a real disdain for invitations. Maybe it was the week long gospel meeting that became the three day gospel meeting where the preacher had Just As I Am repeated until someone was bludgeoned into response.

I remember several years ago before our first child was born going forward to ask for prayers as a father. I remember the faces in the crowed as I began the approach during the invitation song. You could see the questions in their eyes. “What has Darin done?” “This is going to be interesting.”

I remember the change in the atmosphere when the minister informed the church that I had just asked for prayers on our sons impeding birth. I remember people telling me I would do great, I had nothing to worry about but not one I’m praying for you. The invitation was the time to mark, gawk and wonder.

It was in this moment that I new that redemption is not an event or a moment but a process that requires a rolled up sleeve, involvement and commitment. This relationship is a mess a no flowery prayer is going to change that. No pat on the back and a Jesus loves you will prepare this boy for what lies ahead.

I thought about the woman who was caught in adultery who Jesus sent away with a simple "Go and sin no more." There is a lot more to that story then what is recorded. A lot more too every story. It is easy to see Jesus send that woman away but the story was told to show Jesus willingness to forgive not to show a ministry style, or so I think. How about you?

No, that woman was going to need some support and encouragement and a willingness to be community. What do you think?

3 Comments:

Blogger Falantedios said...

Darin,

Have you ever noticed how often certain people in the Gospels did the exact opposite of what Jesus told them to do, and never 'got in trouble' for it?

How many people did he command to keep quiet about who healed them? They just couldn't shut up!

How many of the people who followed him were probably people who were told, "Go and sin no more..." but just didn't HAVE anywhere to go? Jesus forgave them, but their communities didn't.

IF, and that is indeed a BIG IF, the John text you mentioned belongs in Luke, as some commentators suggest, it would tie together the story of the sinful woman at Simon the Pharisee's house, and it would be yet another person who ignored Jesus' command because of the power of his love.

I wonder if our communities, our presence, will ever resemble somewhere that sin-sick people would feel welcome?

in HIS love,
Nick

in HIS love,
Nick

9:24 PM  
Blogger Darin L. Hamm said...

Good questions and comments.

Thanks.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

Checking in Darin. How are things going?

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home