Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Spinners

more thoughts on grace

I pulled up behind the giant SUV. It was decked out from hood to bumper. It looked like someone’s ride had been pimped. The golden color of the tank shined in the midday sun. My eyes were drawn to the spinners on the wheels. They continued to roll even though we were stopped at the light.

I don’t know where this craze started, and I’m not sure why it caught on, but I see them a lot these days. I mean you can even get plastic knock-offs down at your local Wal-Mart, though I am sure these were not the plastic clip-on sort.

The reason I really pondered this massive vehicle though, was because of a sticker on the back window. On the lower right hand side was one of those Calvin like characters bowing at the foot of a cross. Something in that moment, with the spinners spinning, and the sun shining off all the vehicles bling, gave me this strange juxtaposition. Something just seemed out of place.

I’m still not sure what I think about that moment. I realize that my 1995 Chrysler Concorde is a luxury that the majority of people in this world will never experience. I understand that our trips to see grandparents hundreds of miles away is unheard of in many parts of the world, but something about the image troubled me that day.

It just seemed that something about being a Christian is being missed these days. The purpose of it all has somehow shifted. Maybe it’s just me, maybe I am wrong, and I hope I am wrong, but it seems that flash comes before substance.

I am not questioning the salvation of the occupant of the vehicle, that is not the point. The point is something about how we show we are Christians has changed. Something fundamental about how we shine light into this world is different. Something about how we measure our faith seems misguided.

I wonder why. How did this happen? I keep hearing the words of Jesus when he says, “love each other.” John says that you will know who the children of God are because they love their brother (1 John 3:10).

What excites people about churches today? When a church has a conference what is it about? Have you been to a “How to Love those in your Neighborhood More” conference? Seen any invitations? Had a fellow believer visit your church and ask, “How well do you love others?” I don’t get that question. I can’t remember those types of invitations. How about you?

Truth be told, I can either complain about it or start doing it. I can start talking about it, living it out, and praying that we all catch the desire to love more. I don’t want more bumper sticker testimony. I want authentic love shown to the least of these around us.

Grace wasn’t extended so that I could say, “Look I’m saved,” like some sticker that I put on my window. It was extended so that I could love more and more. Let me embrace grace. Let love be the only measure of my allegiance to Christ.

4 Comments:

Blogger Josh said...

Excellent Post. It saddens me that to many Christianity has become a materialistic pursuit. I'm not saying that this was the case with the driver of the pimped out SUV, but for many it's a "What's in it for me" mentality.

When did God become some genie in a bottle?

Many call God Jehovah Jireh, the Lord will Provide, and I believe He does provide for us. But when Abraham first called God Jehovah Jireh, he was talking about God providing a substitute to get him out of the mess his sin had put him in.

Interesting thoughts. By the way, I thought it was a small world when I saw that you were from Owasso. I grew up in Claremore, just down the road from you!

6:54 AM  
Blogger Royce Ogle said...

Brilliant conclusion!

I am on your team.

Grace and Peace,
Royce Ogle

1:11 PM  
Blogger Falantedios said...

In chapter 2 of "The Divine Comspiracy," a chapter entitled 'Gospels of Sin Management,' Dallas Willard writes extensively about the very phenomenon you describe here, although he refers directly to the "Christians aren't perfect, just forgiven" bumperstickers and such. The New Perspective on Paul suggests that Judeo-Christianity has been wrestling with such external markers of covenant participation for millenia. Paul says that those who are participating in the covenant, those who are 'justified' before God, live by faith, a faith that is conforming them to the image of Jesus. Thank you for the reminder that the kind of external markers you and Dr Willard describe are oh-so-tempting, but ultimately fruitless and even detrimental to our spiritual wellbeing.

in HIS love,
Nick

P.S. - You've got some really challenging thoughts here. Thanks for being so honest.

12:18 AM  
Blogger Darin L. Hamm said...

Thanks for the comments Nick, and thanks for visiting my blog.

6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home