Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Morgan Paige Sweetheart Hamm and the Gift of Service

God has given each of us the ability to do certain things well. So if God has given you the ability to prophesy, speak out when you have faith that God is speaking through you. If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching. If your gift is to encourage others, do it! If you have money, share it generously. If God has given you leadership ability, take the responsibility seriously. And if you have a gift for showing kindness to others, do it gladly. Romans 12:6-8 NLT

It simply amazes me, and in many ways I consider it unfair. I have never seen this text come to life more than with our youngest daughter. At this point in my daughter’s life she simply wants to give to others. At a very early age she has wanted to help. While our other two children went to run and play, Morgan Paige Sweetheart Hamm was helping pick up. While others said, “This is mine,” she would always say, “Can I give this to you?”

At no time was this clearly than this past week. My wife referees volleyball in this part of the country, and is quite good at what she does. Her job takes her away some evenings and this requires that I pick up the kids from school. I don’t mind this at all, I am thankful I have a job with such flexibility.

Last week I decided to get each kid a snack while they spent time at my office. We went to the convenient store up the street and each purchased an item they could snack on.

Morgan, being Morgan, shared her snack generously with her brother and sister. They were only too happy to oblige her generous nature. The problem came when the gum Morgan chose ran out. She had given a lot of it to her brother and sister. She had generously shared hers without asking for anything in return.

When she started to get hungry she asked her brother and sister if she could have some of their snacks. They were not born with a generous nature. They told her there was no way she could have any of their snacks.

It was a teachable moment for our other two children, the ones without the natural giving hearts. I talked with them about what Morgan had done, and I asked them what they thought about it. In the end I decided to get Morgan another treat, just for her. When the kids complained it was easy to tell them why.

What really got me though were the first words out of Morgan’s mouth when I told her she would get a treat of her own. The first thing she asked was, “Can I share it with my brother and sister?” She looked at them and told them that she would share.

It confirmed to me this text in Romans 12. It has also encouraged me to find what each of my child was made for, and to insure that I too am being who God made me to be. John Maxwell says that you should spend 80% of your time focusing on the 20% you are good at and it sounds like Paul would agree.

It seems Morgan is well on her way to maximizing her 20%.

5 Comments:

Blogger preacherman said...

Darin,

How awesome!
My boys are still trying to learn to share. The 3 year old this morning took a toy away from our 6 month old and you know you don't take toys away from babies.
Aren't those teachable moments wonderful though? I love those moments that make you laugh, or make you proud. I love moments too that you can us in sermons.
My son Ethan said, Jesus is in my name their's a cross in it, referring to the T. Then he replied, I'm specail. I then said, Yes you are son, yes you are."

Thanks Darin for sharing this teachable moment with us I might use it on our sons and see if it helps. I'll let you know how it goes.

God bless you brother.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Darin L. Hamm said...

Preacherman,

I don't know how well this story would work on anyone. Our daughter just does it, always has.

Our other two not so much.

I love your story and I am thinking your boys are blessed to have a father who cares about them physically and spiritually.

God bless.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Josh said...

Darin,

I love the NLT Version of the verse. I've never read it that way before.

Probably the most awesome lesson that your daughter learned is that when she gives, her Father provides more for her so that she can give more.

I wish I had that kind of faith in my God that He would take care of me like this. Thanks for sharing this lesson!

Good thoughts on the 80/20 rule. I posted on a pareto principle of my own Here! Check it out if you have the time.

You have really good posts. I'm glad I added you to my list!

9:58 AM  
Blogger Darin L. Hamm said...

Josh,

Thanks for the add. I suppose I should comment that our daughters name is Morgan Paige Hamm and the Sweetheart came via a neighbor.

The neighbor always called her Morgan Sweetheart and so she grew up thinking that was her name.

Just so everyone knows.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Josh said...

Darin,

Thanks for visiting. Lol... that's funny about your daughter's little nickname. Concerning the 20% Egypt.

I do think it may be possible to get rid of the 20% literally, but I think the memory will always be there. Even though the Israelites weren't in Egypt any further, they still had the memories of the food they ate there.

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home