Sunday, August 20, 2006

Superiority

My final thoughts on grace


I am better then you. Have you ever heard those words? Spoke them? Maybe you’ve never said them, but have your actions told others that is what you believe? It is a nasty habit isn’t it. I must confess it is a hard one to avoid. Anytime I think I am right, or that my answers are better simply because they are my answers, I have fallen into the trap of thinking I am superior.

Paul warned the early church about such notions. He told the church in Philippi to, “consider others better than yourselves.” Is religious superiority present in the American church today?

Have you ever had someone tell you they were superior because they had a full manifestation of the gifts of the Spirit? I have. Been told you were a brother in error, our interpretations are clearly superior to yours? It has happened to me. Should I continue the list?

Why is it we find so many ways to divide? So many ways to say we are superior? You want to grow a church in today’s culture? Just tell people you do it better than the others. Play on the need to feel superior.

My problem is, when I point out others being superior, I tend to think this makes me superior to them.

What do we do with the fact that the Christian faith has nothing to do with our superiority? What do we do with the fact that Peter and James each tell us to humble ourselves before God? What do we do with the fact that in doing this we will be lifted up?

Grace is supposed to keep us from this false pride, this I’m better than you. Grace is supposed to be the great equalizer. “All have sinned and fallen short.” In Galatians 3:28 Paul tells us that we are all equal, no Jew or Greek, slave or free, male or female, we are all one in Christ.

Yet we divide. Not because of grace, grace says we are together. Grace says we are all the same before God. Be warned, when anyone starts to sound like they are smarter or better, especially if it is me, run the other way.

I praise grace, the great equalizer, I pray that I will live under it so that I never think I am smarter, better or closer to God.

I confess, I am not superior.

4 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

I am new to your blog. I agree with you blog. I am no where near superior either. I don't ever want to get so caught up in myself that I ever think that I am anywhere near better than anyone. The truth is, I have no right to judge because I have my own list of laundry to deal with. I hope that if I ever get to thinking that my own stuff doesn't stink, that I would be told that I am acting "self-righteously" and needed to get back to reality.
It would be horrible if I were a root of cause of division among brothers and sisters in the Lord.

This post made me really evaluate my heart and motives.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Darin L. Hamm said...

Great thoughts. A wonderful addition. Thanks Ben. I am praying for your new ministry. They are truly blessed to have someone with your heart.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Josh said...

It's hard not to think that we're superior when we have an opinion about something. Of course we think our opinions are the best, or else we'd change them.

But when it all comes down to it that's just what they are... opinions. The Bible is the Word of God and the rest (our opinions, interpretations) is just commentary.

1:20 PM  
Blogger preacherman said...

Darin,

Your thoughts on grace have been great.
The way you describe it and compare it, makes me understand that you really understand it.
I think it so sad how many Christians don't understand it.
May God makes us aware of the grace that he has given, that we are saved by, and charish the gift every day.

Thanks Darin,
God bless you.

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home