Saturday, October 21, 2006

Enablers

Have you ever watched the show Intervention on A&E? It chronicles a series of interventions in people’s lives that are addicted to drugs or alcohol. It is very compelling television as you learn about the person with the addiction and then watch as family and friends step in hoping they will go into treatment.

The success rate is a mixed bag from success to those who don’t even finish rehab. I watch the show and one thing that has struck me is how many people enable their son or daughter, spouse or friend. A lot of people who love them enable them to continue the cycle of destruction. I wonder if we in the church do not play the part of the enabler to often. As I thought about this I also thought about one of my favorite parables. Let’s rewrite the parable, let me know what you think.

“Dad can I have my inheritance. I really want the money now so that I can enjoy the city life. I don’t want to wait until you die. The dad decides to divide what he has between the two sons. A few days later and the son is off to the city to find work and have a good time.

Not long after the father gets word back that his son has been partying a lot and spending all of the money. The dad is shocked and concerned. He loves his son and is worried about what this behavior might bring. He decides to travel to the city to beg for his sons return before he does something he might really regret.

The father finds his son on the street with a bottle of malt liquor. He begs his son to come home because he can’t stand to see him in this state. Dad grabs the bottle of malt liquor to entice the son into his car. Dad takes him to get something to eat and they talk about what it will take to insure his sons return.

The son informs the father that he doesn’t like his older brother. He is just too uncaring and insensitive. The house has too many rules that seem outdated. He begins to vent his frustration about his work load and the expectations. Dad can’t stand this because he really wants his son home, so he promises that he will cut back the work load and talk with the older brother…”
Now that is not how the story we refer to as the prodigal son goes is it? I have been thinking about this parable lately and the way we treat lost sheep. Do we go to them and ask what it will take to get their return? Is that wise? Are we only acting the part of spiritual enabler? When we go out and ask the lost what they need to be found are we really helping?

I don’t know. This is just something that I have been pondering, what do you think?

2 Comments:

Blogger preacherman said...

Darin,
Great post.
You ask some important questions that should be asked. I have found a book very helpful on this subject: Falling Away: Why Christians Lose Their faith and What Can Be Done About It by Brian Simmons. His chapters include: 1.The Reality of Falling Away
2.What the Bible Says about Falling Away.
3.Difficult Biblical Texts Related to Falling Away.
4.Myths About Falling Away.
5.Who Is Most Likely to Fall Away
6.Warning Signs that Someone is Falling Away.
7.The Causes of Falling Away,Part 1
8." "Part 2
9.Interfaith Marriages and Falling Away.
10.Returning to Faith
11.Swtiching Faith Traditions
12.Preventing Apostasy.

The church in the past I believe has been Enablers. Some churches make people felt hopless and helpless that what's the point of even comming to church and trying.

It is complex and I think the answers to your questions are going to be very complex. We can't just say this is going to work.

Great post and making us think.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Darin L. Hamm said...

Thanks Preacherman. I will add that to my to read list.

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home