Friday, September 22, 2006

The final post dealing with the statement
Prove It: The Supernatural

It is the time of year when television programming turns to all that is unexplained. I don’t know about you but I use to think I had to prove every supernatural experience wrong. When the television came on and someone claimed a ghost lived in their home I discounted their experience. Every UFO story became someone with to much to drink or was caused by a momentary glance. They all had to have a logical explanation, certainly nothing could be unexplained.

Now I wonder why. Why did I feel the need to explain it all away? Why did I not think maybe just maybe some of them were true? I have been watching a lot on television this past weeks and some of those people who have witnessed UFO’s are not Billy Bob in his truck with a jug of whiskey out snipe hunting. They are astronauts and airline pilots. In short they are people who have been trained in the logical.

Why did I think I had to prove all of them wrong? Why did I have to dismiss every psychic who claimed an other dimension connection? Don’t I believe in the supernatural? Don’t I believe that there is something more than this? Isn’t the very center point of Christianity, the resurrection, supernatural?

Paul warned the church in Ephesus that the battle is not with forces of this world but with evil rulers and authorities that reside in the unseen realm. We learn from Paul in Ephesians 6:10-18 that we put on the armor not to look good to others but for protection. He teaches us that there are unseen forces who rule this world and that spirits move in the heavenly realms. Why is it that I would discount something that proves Paul’s point? Why would I make fun of someone who believes they have experienced the supernatural? Why would I think I needed to prove it didn’t take place?

Recently we had lunch with our neighbor and her family. She was telling me about her mother and some of her own experiences with mediums. Instead of trying to prove to her that this couldn’t happen, that they were fakes and charlatans, I agreed that it could have taken place. Instead of arguing I warned her that she should test each spirit to make sure they are good and not bad. This led to a biblical discussion on how one could do and how both good and evil spirits are working in this other dimension.

We had a good discussion about what the Bible says about the supernatural. Our neighbor has been coming to our church now the past several weeks. Is that why? I can’t say, but I don’t think it hurt giving a strong biblical answer to her experiences instead of trying to prove her wrong.

So many people today are open to the supernatural and we have a book that is chalked full of unexplained events. Why allow ourselves to be pushed into proving something that doesn’t hurt the case for Christ, but only makes it stronger?

Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 1 John 1:4

6 Comments:

Blogger Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

So you don't believe in UFOs??? That probably means you don't believe the aliens built the pyramids too. What am I going to do with you.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine

2:50 PM  
Blogger Falantedios said...

Thank you for bringing this up, Darin. I agree with you 100%. Certainly there are many fakers and charlatans out there, but we who believe in the God Who Acts (which is what I call the Father when I'm taking notes) have the least reason of anyone to deny the supernatural.

In fact, it is not because John Edwards on the Sci Fi channel could be a charlatan that he is scary, but because he probably ISN'T, and is probably the most popular conjuror of spirits in recent American history.

in HIS love,
Nick

9:41 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

Bobby, you're forgetting Stonehenge as well!

Darin, I've never been the personality to disprove all of the supernatural stuff, although I believe there are many cons out there. As far as stances go, I just don't take one, but I do think that UFOs are interesting, though.

Then of course when you think about life on other planets, you have to think about God's love for them, and what God had to do to save them... and... well... my head's really starting to hurt now. Let's just say there is no soulfull life on other planets, so we don't have to go into some deep discussion of God's relationship with them. Okay???

For some reason, when I visit your blog from my work PC, my computer crashes. So, I may be stopping by mostly on the weekends, when I have time. Take care.

2:48 PM  
Blogger preacherman said...

Do you think that God would really creat the heavens with us being the only ones? Do you think God has explained everything in the Bible? Are we so nieve to think we are the only ones. Go out and look at the stars and space. It is amazing the universes, worlds and stars that God has made. You have to admit the star gate theory is pretty cool about the pyramids. What about crop circles? Do you really think Billy Bob and Bubba are that creative? Come on...

8:15 PM  
Blogger Darin L. Hamm said...

I guess I wonder if what is viewed are objects from the spiritual realm? Could it be that what we can’t identify are things of a spiritual nature crossing over as they do battle on another plain? They certainly could be from other planets and yet what if they are not?

7:55 AM  
Blogger preacherman said...

Darin,
Great point.
Doesn't something in Genesis mention a story or race of people who the angels had sex with humans?

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home