Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The next few entries will be a response to the following article by Rick Wade entitled, Scripture and Tradition in the Early Church at http://www.probe.org/content/view/911/77/

Will the Real Church Fathers
Please Stand?
Enlightenment philosophers taught us to see the world as a collection of scientific facts, to look forward instead of back to the wisdom of the past, and to see the individual as the final authority for what is true. The ideal is the individual who examines the raw data of experience with no prior value commitments, with a view to discovering something new. Unfortunately, knowledge was pursued at the expense of wisdom. The past had little relevance. What could those who lived in the past tell us that would be relevant for today?{5} Besides, the church dominated people in the past. Such superstition was no longer to be allowed to rule our lives. Scripture and Traditions of the Early Church, Rick Wade
I guess the reason this article strikes me is because the beginning of my end within the a capella Church of Christ came when I began to read the church fathers in their entirety.

I had only seen a kind of proof-texting in my life. When something they said bolstered a modern claim of the Church of Christ they were used. I began to read their writings to see if they had the same attitude and understanding that I was taught. I wanted to see if in context the writings were consistent with how they were being used. What I found forever taught me that little in the Church of Christ reflected the first century.

This hit home to me recently when I was talking to a friend who still preaches in the Church of Christ. He started to tell me about some papers he had written for his master’s class at ACU. He said he had been looking at church history.

I became excited and I asked what he had found. He began to talk about the 1800’s and I realized he wasn’t talking about Ireneaus or Justin the Martyr but instead Moses Lard and Alexander Campbell. Why is this? What type of thinking leads to this view of church history?

I found my eyes open when I entered the world of the early church. I found their Christ-centered message refreshing to my soul. I realized that the group I grew up in said they wanted to restore the early church but didn’t want to go back and understand how they responded to the message of the Christ.

How can someone say they restored something that was created in the 1800’s? No first century Christian would recognize the Church of Christ attitude about instrumental music. None would understand the segment of the Church of Christ who says the Spirit doesn’t indwell. How could one claim that which comes from the enlightenment as the early church? How can one say that rationalism had any place in the infancy of the church, that scientific thought guided them?

Rick Wade helps me understand why it happened, a distrust of the supernatural. People had a false belief that we could figure it all out and fix everything. I can see why it happened. Those who came before had the idea that science was the answer. We live on the other side of that myth. We have discovered that the world didn't get better, if anything life has gotten worse. I hope we realize that the church doesn't look more like the first century, it looks less.

We would be blessed if we traveled back to those fathers on a regular basis to see how they understood the message they had received. This effort might insure that no one says they are contending for the faith once delivered when they are actually defending a system constructed in the frontier days of the United States.

The article goes a long way in explaining why but this doesn't give us an excuse to continue down this path. If anything it should convict us that we must change courses for the health of the church. We need to discover Polycarp and the rest of our brothers and sisters in faith. We need to let them stand.

13 Comments:

Blogger preacherman said...

Darin,
Excellent post.
I enjoyed the article.
I totally agree if we are headed down the wrong path we need to get back on the right track if we are to make a difference and be the church that God wants us to be.

On my blog I am asking the question: What are we trying to restore? Love for you to join in the discussion.

Darin, again excellent post as always. Your blog is fresh, encouraging and thought provoking. Love it!

8:42 AM  
Blogger Josh said...

Great Post, Darin.

11:30 AM  
Blogger john alan turner said...

Darin,
Having grown up in the Churches of Christ, I can resonate deeply with this post. Unfortunately, now that I do the vast majority of my ministry among the wider Evangelical world, I've found that this problem is found there as well.

In the Churches of Christ we thought church history fell into corruption after John finished writing Revelation and didn't find itself again until 1800 (with a few exceptions here and there -- the holy remnant you know).

In other Evangelical churches, the story is pretty much the same except they're willing to go back 300 years further to Martin Luther around 1500.

I'm really thankful for conservative scholars like D.H. Williams who are helping us reappropriate the writings of the early church.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

Darin,

History is of great importance. This has been a weakness of most Protestant denominations, especially those of a Reformed origin. This includes the CofCs.

It is ok to be suspicious of blind tradition. I would say that is healthy in fact. But not all tradition is blind and may simply reflect a consensus of intelligent interpretation.

On the flip side we are all part of a tradition. The Churches of Christ are part of a tradition as much as anyone else. This also includes those who have decided to "leave" for better or worse.

Our tradition in the American Restoration Movement has many things about it that are in fact deeply rooted in the historic Christian tradition. The problem with this is many DO NOT KNOW THAT fact.

Just one example: regardless of my personal opinion about IM, it is a fact that for most of the history of Christianity the church has opposed it. Contrary to your claim the Church Fathers are adamately opposed to instrumental music and this is attested by any church historian. In fact some who use and defend IM will freely confess that the attitude of the Fathers was one of vehement rejection. Some might even say "vehement" is too soft a term.

The problem with many Churches of Christ is not the rejection of IM. The problem is that a sectarian attitude has infected our soul. We should not be guilty of conflating these issues. It is possible to be a WITNESS to the overwhelming majority voice of the historic tradition and be gracious and nonsectarian.

What tradition does is give us a historical consciousness. It helps shape an identity. As such it is a vital and necessary ingredient in spiritual health.

The strength of the Restoration Tradition is that it also gives us "traditional" resources to critique the dominant Tradition that may have gone astray at times. Luther did this. I believe Stone and Campbell did as well. I think Lipscomb and Harding give us "traditional" resources to critique the wider Church of Christ tradition and point out that some things have become unhealthy.

The article I think is excellent. Did you notice that in footnote 35 the author cites Everett Ferguson? Interesting ... and instructive.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine

12:42 PM  
Blogger Darin L. Hamm said...

Bobby,

I thought I could get a response from you on this thread. Bobby we have never met but I like you. You speak your mind and that is what I want.

By the way, this is what I said about IM, “No first century Christian would recognize the Church of Christ attitude about instrumental music.”

I said the early church would not recognize the attitude of the Church of Christ about IM. I didn’t say they had instruments or that they didn’t teach that instruments shouldn’t be used, I said that it is the attitude that surrounds the issue that they would not recognize.

You go on to say that “a sectarian attitude has infected our soul.”

The early church rejected IM vehemently not because it was against some type of law system for accurate NT worship but because of its connection with pagan worship. They carried on a tradition from synagogue worship. When I understand what the times were like it makes a lot of sense to make sure that the Kingdom of God wasn’t mistaken for a temple of Zeus.

In the end the use of IM wasn’t the issue, but instead what it was connected with. When I understanding this fact, I have a better understanding of the early church. I realize that the same thinking that kept the early church from using IM also caused them to only chant.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

Darin I hope I was not offensive in my previous post. My post was in fundamental agreement that we need to make ourselves more open to Christian history and tradition.

I really have no desire to get in a discussion regarding IM. I find myself quite comfortable with the great Christian tradition of accapella music. I do not believe it is a matter of salvation or fellowship. But I do beleive a good theological case can be made for it. The Church Fathers opposed IM on more grounds than paganism. They argued, rightly or wrongly, that it IM belonged to the infancy of God's People. They also rejected Greco-Roman values of pure music. Music must be "logocentric" that is WORD centered. Calvinist theologican, Calvin Stapert has argued this in at least two places: The Complete Library of Christian Worship edited by Robert Webber and his new book length study called, A NEW SONG FOR AN OLD WORLD: MUSICAL THOUGHT IN THE EARLY CHURCH (available on Amazon btw)

Stapert believes at case can be made for instruments but more theological thought needs to go into justifying them than has been done in the past. I think his writing is both historically honest and theologically stimulating.

As for musical styles and solos or what have you I am unconcerned with. And I rarely if ever talk about IM unless it comes up in the course of a conversation like this one.

But knowing what I know about the Fathers, and even their attitude (and some of the things they say about instruments would make Foy E. Wallace Jr. look soft!), I have no reason to be hesitant. I am quite in "tune" with the Christian tradition on this one.

I hope and pray that I avoid any sectaraianism in these posts. We need to recover from our ailment of historylessness.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine

2:25 PM  
Blogger Darin L. Hamm said...

Bobby, not at all. I was just responding.

I will study it more.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Darin L. Hamm said...

Ben,

You have a wonderful way with words. I know you inspire me through your writings.

Thanks for commenting on the blog. I enjoy what you have to say.

My favorites are:
“What I'm fixated on is how we work through all of that on a congregational level so that Christ becomes our Lord, God's kingdom our priority, His Spirit our energy, all in order that we take the shape of the new, true humanity to which we've been gathered in Christ for the sake of the world.”

“Maybe we need to pray for redemption--e.g., intellectual freedom from the slavery of the ideas and images that run silently below the surface like a computer program giving us a foundation out of which we think.”

8:42 PM  
Blogger Royce Ogle said...

Brothers, cut and paste this URL, and read the article.

http://www.edwardfudge.com/written/restmvmnttext.html

Are Bro' Fudge's observations about the beginning of the Restoration Movement accurate? I don't know for sure.

I do endorse his theology.

I would like to know what you think. www.gracedigest.blogspot.com or email royce@ogle.net.

Grace and Peace,
Royce Ogle

1:37 PM  
Blogger Darin L. Hamm said...

Royce,

Thanks for the article. It was a good read.

10:49 PM  
Blogger Darin L. Hamm said...

Ben,

Just finished reading the article you offered. Thanks. It was a great read.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Royce Ogle said...

Is there a tendency to rely to heavily on what men of the past taught and or practiced?

The problem with citing "church fathers" is that the one citing also has the perogavitve of picking the "father". My observation is that "church fathers" are treated like verses of Scripture, the selection depends on what you are trying to prove up.

I am especially troubled by some of my brothers who quote Campbell, Stone, Harding, Lipscombe, and others as if they were only slightly less infallible than the Bible.

Most of us agree that at some level we in the coC have some baggage we could do without. (Use your imagination) I submit that one reason some of the same error, some of the same sectarianism, and the same problems persist, is that we keep going to the same well to draw water.

Someone said, "Only a fool keeps doing the same things while expecting a different result". If I only read books and articles by people I know beforehand I will likely agree with, I am not as likely to have my beliefs challenged as if my reading material has a broader base.

Grace and Peace,
Royce Ogle

4:10 PM  
Blogger Darin L. Hamm said...

Royce,

I can agree that it can be selective, which is why I went back to read it all. What freedom I found.

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home