Sunday, August 27, 2006

Discipleship and the Unanswered Question

You hear a lot about discipleship today. I mean, it makes sense. Jesus said go into all the world and make disciples in every nation. It isn’t called the minor commission or the insignificant commission, it is commonly called the great commission. That would seem to say that Christianity has marked this one as one of the key instructions given by Jesus.

But what does it mean? Let’s be honest, whatever point a group thinks is most important will be what they mean by making disciples. Isn’t that true? If a group thinks memorizing the Bible is most important, then making a disciple will be making someone who has memorized the Bible. If the spiritual gifts are what is most important, then making a disciple will be making someone who has the spiritual gifts.

But is that what it was suppose to mean? I have been thinking about this a lot. “Are we helping make disciples at New Heights Church?” I sit and wonder if we are carrying out what we have been commissioned to do.

I have ended up at the place I am today. You see I carry expectations of discipleship from my personal life experience. The question that rolls in my head is, was the way discipleship was judged in my experience the actual way Jesus expected discipleship to be judged?

Tough question. Not sure about the answer yet. In my experience discipleship has been measured by how “with it” you are. How together you hold everything, or seem to hold everything. I realized that in my experience discipleship was also measured by ones time at the building and ones Bible knowledge was considered essential. Is that the correct way to measure discipleship?

When looking at our church I realized that these were the unwritten rules I used to measure discipleship success, but is that true? Are those really key indicators? How would that work with Peter? How together were any of Jesus followers? In Acts 2:7 the people question what is taking place because Jesus followers are from Galilee.

This fact doesn’t seem to instill a sense of worth in the listeners that day. Men who spent their life as fisherman and tax collectors would not have been viewed as worthy teachers at this point in history. Cicero, in On Duties, said that fishing was considered a shameful occupation.

How about time at the building? The gospel records that Jesus went to the synagogue on a regular basis. Why not more focus on what took place in those places? I don’t deny that he spent time at the synagogue, gathering with the body matters, but is it wise to use it as a primary gauge for discipleship? Maybe I am off on this one, I don’t know.

Finally, how about Bible knowledge? Those early disciples were clueless. They didn’t understand what was going on and often times found themselves totally cross with God’s plan. Would I deem someone a worthy follower who argued about who was the greatest? Is getting called Satan by Jesus a good sign of being a disciple? Not sure I would think they were a particularly valuable Christ follower. I don’t know if I would have thought they were getting anywhere.

Maybe that is a proper way to measure discipleship, but maybe it isn't. What do you think? If not, what should the criteria be?

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found your blog today and wanted to leave you a comment to let you know that I appreciate it.
I have a new discussion forum here...
http://z6.invisionfree.com/denominations
Please feel free to register and post; you are most welcome!
Have a great day!

Wren

8:19 AM  
Blogger Josh said...

Interesting Post. You're right, the definition of discipleship can be somewhat skewed by our past experiences. I wish the Bible made a more clear definition of what a disciple was.

I do think some churches are guilty of simply getting people saved, then doing little or no follow-up. I call this spiritual abortion. We birth them into the world of Christianity, then let them die without any instruction as to what the next steps are.

Again, good post.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Darin L. Hamm said...

Josh,

I agree with you. My fear is we are one of those churches you are talking about. Now we are not ones who talk about getting someone saved, I don't like how that sounds, but even though I understand that isn't what it is about am I doing any better?

Not sure yet.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Josh said...

Darrin, my parents' church's website is http://www.obftulsa.org/

The church is very charismatic, moreso than what I've been raised, so they're not the typical Protestant Church in America, but they do a lot of good for their community.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

Darrin,
Below is the part of Velvet Elvis that changed my life. It's rather long.

http://gabbathauniversity.blogspot.com/2006/02/altar-death-of-superjosh.html

12:26 PM  
Blogger Falantedios said...

In the 1st and 2nd centuries, Christians were known as people who would never "expose" their children. If you remember, "exposing" your children in ancient history was a far more deadly concept than it sounds in 2006. Yet, Western Christianity circa 2006 seems to major in "exposing" its infant spiritual children: leading them to a mountaintop experience, and then leaving them there to die.

I'm trying to do better. Fumbling, really, but like you said, clinging to Jesus desperately seemed to be a more obvious marker of discipleship than anything else.

in HIS love,
Nick

4:34 PM  
Blogger Royce Ogle said...

Darin,
You are right on target! Some of the most ill tempered, disagreeable men I have ever met knew "chapter and verse" and would beat you over the head with it in a New York minute.
Love God, love your neighbor. Only those who have been truely born again can be discipled to do these simple things. Indeed, they alone have the capacity to love unselfeshly as God does.
On the other hand, those who have been converted to the church and not to Christ, will never be disciples. They will only be actors.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Darin L. Hamm said...

Royce,

I like this thought, "those who have been converted to the church and not to Christ, will never be disciples. They will only be actors."

I am thinking about the implications of this statement. Thanks for making it.

6:41 PM  
Blogger preacherman said...

Darin,

I excellent post.
I think you are right on.

I love your quote, very cool.

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jesus defined "disciple" in John 8:31, 32 as one who continues "in my word" and that knowing the truth would make one free. In John 17:17, he identified the "word" as being "truth." Not only in worship, but in everyday living, one who follows the example of Jesus and His teaching as well as the teaching of the apostles guided by the Holy Spirit in their writing, is a disciple of Christ. In Galatians 2:20, Paul gives a good picture of true discipleship.
Discipleship is a lifestyle and a mindset directed by God's word. It's an objective standard which becomes a subjective application of that standard with unwavering devotion to Jesus Christ.

7:22 AM  
Blogger Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

I am enjoying reading this.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home