Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Clean up on Aisle Four

Man was she loud, I mean really loud. I am not sure this little girl’s voice had a volume control, one sound fits all. I mean the kid was going to town, talking about this that and the other. I asked her to whisper but we didn’t seem to connect. Her little sister came over and tried to get her to whisper.

I talked with her about an inside voice and outside voice but I began to suspect I was getting her inside voice. I got on my knees in our aisle and asked her if she had any idea what the Lord’s Supper was.

Her voice was so noticeable because one of our members was sharing a word before we took the Lord’s Supper. The place was so quite you could hear a pin drop, except for my little friend in aisle four.

I remember messes. In high school I worked at our small town’s grocery store. We had five aisles of food. The store didn’t have a deli or video rental center but it worked for our small community. I spent my last two years of high school doing whatever I was asked.

Aisle four in that store was the worst for messes. If you heard, “clean up to aisle four,” you new you probably had trouble. It contained two of my most dreaded products: syrup and sweet pickles. You could mop and mop the area if either of these hit the tile floor but the sticky would remain.

I flashed back to my clean up days as the tray approached. What would you do in my shoes? In our little store back in St. John, Kansas you could have shut down aisle four and that would have insured that nothing destructive took place. The problem with this of course is that 20% of the store would have been off limits to our customers.

What do you do? Those little hands reaching for a tasty snack as the tray and all its content crash to the floor. What could I do? I tried to explain what was happening, not because I’m some legalist, but because it matters. The reality is she is four. Four without ever experiencing church.

What would you do? My little friend’s family has only just begun attending our Sunday gatherings. They have no real church background other than a deep longing that says they need God. They came to our Back to School day and the Spirit really touched their hearts.

Do we wall off 20% of our church for those who don’t know any better? Do we close down our open doors because they may create a mess in our aisles? I really don’t know what everyone else thought that day but I new I didn’t care, because I am suppose to be ready for true clean up every Sunday, no matter the aisle. I thank God that I am at a place that may just need clean up on aisle four.

“It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick.” Mark 2:17a

14 Comments:

Blogger Agent X said...

How bout change the way you do Lords Supper?

You have new people who have no background with it. It has always been such a quiet and somber service in the tradition I come from. A focal point or centerpiece not to be messed with. But perhaps it should be a love feast instead. Like feeding the 5000. Nothing is made out of how quiet and somber that was.

Just a suggestion. There are probably better answers, but here's a suggestion to kick off with.

Adios & Shalom...

8:14 PM  
Blogger preacherman said...

Darin,

Believe me with 3 young boys there is always clean up on aisle four at our church every Sunday.

I think the church should understand that it is a place for sinners, hopeless and need of a savior. We are all in need of a clean up on aisle four, Amen.

great post.

8:36 PM  
Blogger Falantedios said...

The "adult believers only" Lord's Supper tradition is not based upon command, but upon interpretation. Several other traditions have existed (and still exist) in the history of the church. I'm still wrestling with whether or not I think the "adult believers only" Lord's Supper is adequately cruciform, but I'm leaning towards "inadequate."

Thank you for pushing me to think these things out more and more. Practical theology is sorely needed in every articulation of Christianity.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Royce Ogle said...

I will not ever be guilty of trying to stop anyone from doing what Jesus said to do. "As often as you do this, do it in rememberence of me." He didn't say when to do it, how often to do it, or who should or should not do it. He just said "As often as you do it..."

One of my twin grandsons, Corbin who was 4 at the time, whispered to me during the Lord's supper, "Are you all pretending the grape juice is blood?" I replied "Yes we are, we are remembering how much Jesus loved us when He died for our sins". He has not asked to take the bread or the cup, but if he does I will not refuse.

Grace and Peace
Royce Ogle

7:09 AM  
Blogger Darin L. Hamm said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Darin L. Hamm said...

Thanks to all for your responses.

We allow any to take the Lord’s Supper. The LS was just the place I centered the story because she was all over the place during our worship.

It is interesting to see how this story, through different lenses, takes on different meanings.

Thanks for allowing that to play out.

8:02 AM  
Blogger Josh said...

Great analogy.

It's saddening that some churches are scared of sinners and those who are unchurched.

8:07 AM  
Blogger Darin L. Hamm said...

Josh,

Yes.

I wonder how many churches would say they are not scared of the sinner/unchurched and yet want them to get everything down before they arrive.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Darin L. Hamm said...

Ben,

Thanks for the comments. We used to take the LS around tables in front and back. Maybe this is a good reminder we need to do that from time to time.

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, hi there Darin! I'm so glad you made a little comment on my blog... I didn't know you existed until now! And this post was a great way for me to get initiated into your world.

Thank you, new friend, for caring about childdren and the unchurched who are among the sometimes too sanitary walls of our churches. God, open our eyes...

Gonna go digging through some of your past articles now...

3:18 PM  
Blogger Jim Martin said...

Darin,
A good post! A story told very well that made me pause and think.

5:19 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

God must first catch the fish before He cleans it.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Darin L. Hamm said...

Josh,

Thanks for your comments. They are appreciated.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

Darin,

Sorry 'bout the Dan Brown post. I should've put more time into research on it before throwing it out there. The Biblical aspect of monogamy/polygamy is a very interesting one, though.

Have a great Holiday!

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home