Thursday, September 07, 2006

The next few entries will be a response to the following article by Rick Wade entitled, Scripture and Tradition in the Early Church at http://www.probe.org/content/view/911/77/

Mystery and the Church Fathers

Enlightenment philosophers taught us to see the world as a collection of scientific facts, to look forward instead of back to the wisdom of the past, and to see the individual as the final authority for what is true. Scripture and Traditions of the Early Church, Rick Wade


It was a Tuesday, the last week of July, 1991. There was a devotion and they were singing Jesus is Lord. I had sung the song a thousand times but that day I heard the gospel for the first time. “He was born to die on Calvary’s tree, to redeem a lost humanity, Conquering death he rose triumphantly, and he reigns through all eternity.”

I was moved that night, I began to cry. It was in that moment that I gave my life to Christ. That I resigned as chief ruler and direction giver.

Why? Because of facts? They were facts that I had heard all my life. It was information that I had repeated myself time and time again. There was something about that night that was a mixture of natural and supernatural, fact and feeling, body and soul.

As I walked away from that moment I vowed to never remove the supernatural from my experience. I kept the story close to my heart because I was raised logically. Facts are what it is all about. Did you do it the right way thinking the right thoughts? I feared that since my experience wasn’t some formula to be consumed that I would be ostracized. So I hid the story, kept it between God and I and a few close friends.

I was confident that day that I would follow after Jesus, not because of my own strength or understanding but because of Him. I committed to believe what the Bible said even when it didn’t seem logical or realistic or possible.

I wanted to pray, not because you were suppose to, but to actually have a spiritual conversation, knowing that to speak to God I needed the Spirit’s voice. I wanted to read my Bible, not because I was suppose to, but because in those pages the Spirit inside of me brought the text to life and fed my soul like nothing ever had.

I wanted something more than the dry lifeless experience of my youth. I wanted to experience something that transcended my existence, because my existence wasn’t good. Yes I went to church, yes I learned the facts, but I did not experience life. Something within believed that without the supernatural none of this made any sense.

I know now why, I understand the false enlightenment belief that we can know it all. That everything is explainable and science is the answer. That the facts were going to fix everything. I don’t blame or point fingers because coming from what they experienced it made sense to them, I just don’t believe it is so.

We live on the other side of that today, and the more we discover the more we know we don’t know. Instead of answering all questions we just find more. For every disease we cure another three come along that we can’t seem to stop.

Facts fall flat. We can only figure out so much, but can we truly return to the mystery of it all? Can we, on the other side of the enlightenment, ever return to a place where the supernatural is embraced? Where spirits and demons exist beyond scary movies?

When you return to the early church you find the natural and supernatural. We see Peter responding to Jesus invitation, not because of what was natural but instead because of the supernatural. Peter new the teachings about the Messiah, but only when Jesus filled their boats with fish did he respond.

Paul knew all of the facts, and yet it is only on a dry stretch of road with a blinding light in his eyes that he believes. It is only the supernatural that pricks his heart. Even the most fact based encounter with Philip and the Eunuch takes place because of the supernatural intervention of an Angel and the Spirit.

The danger we face is losing the facts for the feelings. This is why embracing the church father’s seems the wisest course. They embraced the supernatural without losing the facts. I worry that in responding to the enlightenment we will create a supernatural experience devoid of facts, and without those facts we simply have paganism.

Are we willing to embrace this supernatural mystery in just one profound way? Are we willing to embrace the historic father’s understanding of the Lord’s Supper, or are we more inclined to argue the facts? Are we willing to believe the mystery that it gives us spiritual nourishment? That it imparts grace? That it becomes in some way, that I can’t explain, the body and the blood?

Roll this around in your head and I think you may find how willing you are to jump into the mystery of it all, instead of just creating new ones. May we embrace our supernatural heritage without losing the truth of it all.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whew... I missed out on the great conversations spurred on by your previous post, Darin! I enjoyed reading through the comments. More than anything, it's refreshing to see people approach the tough things with such love and respect. I'm grateful for that...

I'm ashamed of my scant knowledge about the (broad) history of Christianity (and I was baptized when I was 9!) Sad to say... but the history and the mystery of it all weren't nearly as emphasized to me as getting it right. And that's a problem. Thanks for conversations that attempt to bring things into perspective...

10:25 AM  
Blogger Darin L. Hamm said...

Angie,

Thanks for stopping by. I recommend reading their writings. I like finding out how they responded to the message of Jesus.

It changed the world and yet something happened along the way...

Thanks again for your comments.

p.s. www.ccel.org is a great resource for the early writings.

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great thoughts Darin. The facts are important, but not until God breaths life into them. Adam was just a shell of clay until God breathed into him the breath of life, and so are the facts.

10:29 AM  
Blogger john alan turner said...

Darin,
But then there are others like Thomas who knew all the mystic stuff -- had tremendous supernatural experiences. But it wasn't until he actually touched the "facts" with his hands that he truly believed.

I suppose I'm advocating a both/and position here. Evidential apologetics are still important. Christianity is, after all, based on a factual and historical event.

True, facts are often lifeless until God's Spirit breathes upon them and they come alive in a new way. But there is the potential for an error on the opposite end of the spectrum. The notion that it's all mystical and supernatural and there's no room for matter or truth.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Darin L. Hamm said...

Lee,

Yes, facts need life don't they. Great thoughts.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Darin L. Hamm said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Darin L. Hamm said...

JAT,

But those facts only existed because of the supernatural.

I agree that we must be careful, that is one of the great fears I have with what some call the emergent movement and why this blog is actually called Backtrack Journey.

Our world is broken and because it is broken staying in balance is going to take great effort. We tend to lean too far towards facts or feelings. Not going to be easy but it must be the goal.

A great challenging response.

Are we going to be able to discuss it over coffee?

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmm.... coffee. I'm sorry... what were you saying?

I love me a good cup of coffee with a side order of fulfilling conversation!

6:56 PM  
Blogger preacherman said...

I think Christianity is and should be all about the spiritual, the supernatural. God is spirit. We have been given his spirit. I believe because we are in the physical relm that it is hard for many to see and focus on the supernatural. A Christians and discples we need to be taught about the supernatural, mystery of communion, that Christianity and worship is not just physical but spirit. I believe alot of times especially worship we pray "May we worship you in spirit and in truth" but we ingore the spirit our focus on the truth. I teach my congregation that there must be both we can't neglect the spirit because God is spirit.
Darin thank you for your post and challenging us to see they mystery of the supernatural God in which we serve as Christian.

God bless you brother.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Falantedios said...

Darin,
I, too, became a Christian because of the gospel preached in "Jesus Is Lord." Thank you for reminding me of the richness and mystery of conversion.

in HIM,
Nick

9:51 AM  
Blogger Falantedios said...

We must be careful with our terms. Yes, God IS Spirit. BUT, the Word also became Flesh. Incarnation reminds us that physicality itself is not our chief hindrance. Physicality did not hinder Jesus' life of holiness. The great hindrance, all too often, is our failure to discern the will of God. Thus, we succumb to the lies of the one who would use physicality against us.

I'm really wrestling with the impact of Incarnation. I don't think we hear about this mystery nearly enough (probably because the sheer mass of its mysteriousness intimidates many rationalist speakers, including me, all too often).

in HIS love,
Nick

9:58 AM  
Blogger Darin L. Hamm said...

Nick,

Thanks for stopping in and adding to the discussion. They certainly are not in competition. We are body, mind and soul.

Thanks for you additions.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Darin L. Hamm said...

to all. I enjoy your thoughts and welcome your point of view.

I pray that each of you knows that your comments add to my spiritual growth.

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home