Tuesday, October 10, 2006

First Impressions

Have you ever really tried to impress someone? I remember trying very hard to create these ultra romantic experiences when I was single. I wanted to create that “You had me at hello” moment, that event that would set fireworks off in the background Love American Style. In the end none of those relationships really worked out. Some of the young ladies got scared, this guy wants to be way too serious, while others enjoyed the experience but discovered that we really weren’t compatible.

Romance is great and all but doesn’t it create false expectations? What is really romantic about the dishes, the laundry or keeping the yard mowed? Yet each is essential to a relationship and will ultimately affect the closeness of the relationship.

My wife and I met and were friends for over a year. I remember the first time we met. We played volleyball together and I remember not being attracted at all. I remember our first kiss while she helped me pack for a move. There was nothing romantic about these experiences, nothing out of the ordinary, and yet we approach our twelve year anniversary.

Certainly our relationship has romantic moments, but overall our relationship works because of the day to day. It works because we work on it. We are close at times and far apart in others and yet we constantly work because we are committed to the relationship.

I bring this up because I wonder if we have romanticized our relationship with God. I worry that we only feel close if we have had some ultra romantic experience. A worship service is only good if I felt some powerful movement of God.

I think some of this comes from how we look at the Bible. Do we see the miraculous movement of God recorded in the text and long for the same romantic experience? That really is how we see them isn’t it? Some big out of the ordinary moment where God takes his followers breathe away?

Is that really true though? When Joseph interprets dreams given by God this was not some new breath taking way that a deity communicated with creation. Dreams were the standard way that both God and Satan spoke at that time. No one who received a dream was surprised. The issue wasn’t about a startling communication, but instead on finding someone who could interpret the message received.

Much is made about speaking in tongues today and yet John warns that each spirit should be tested. Speaking in tongues was not confined to believers and was not uncommon. I don’t say this to deny speaking in tongues or any other act of God. I just wonder if our obsession with the breathe taking doesn’t set us up for false relational expectations.

Are there moments when God moves in miraculous ways? Certainly, I only caution that they may not be as common as one might think. Does this mean we should never expect the miraculous? Of course not, I still purchase my wife flowers and I will never forget our trip to Cancun. My point is real and authentic relationships are not built on the uncommon but the common. The girls I wowed with romance are married with 2.2 kids and a dog, someone else’s 2.2 kids and dog. Relationships do not grow because of romantic moments, they grow and are sustained because we work on the relationship with a humble heart.

If you know me well you know I have had these powerful moments, but they are not what I base my relationship on. What do you think? Is the church guilty of romanticizing our relationship with God? If so how does this harm the church? If it is true what should we do about it?

7 Comments:

Blogger Falantedios said...

I agree, Darin. Romanticizing the with-God life disillusions vast numbers of young Christians.

In my thoughts, I wrestle with the modern manifestations of charismata. Thank you for being open-minded, even though that open-mindedness challenges both sides of the debate.

I believe that the vast majority of these manifestations foster the same spirit of elitism we find in the Corinthian assembly. Further, I think they devalue the gospel itself. Most of the Christians throughout history have been simple people striving to follow Jesus. They were saved by the blood of Christ, and justified by FAITH, not by manifestations of Spirit power.

I'm still wrestling with these things, but I know that faith, hope, and love remain.

in HIS love,
Nick

5:49 PM  
Blogger preacherman said...

I think when we romanticize our our relationship with God we think that it is going to all be a bed of roses all the time. Great all the time. There are times when my relationship with my wife goes through mountains and valley's and I so does my relationship the God. Things aren't always great. Sometime I don't have the feelings of romance. I also think when we romanticize our relationship with God we down play our respect in understanding that He is God and we are His creation. Don't get me wrong, I love my wife and I love God. It is just are we always going to have the feelings of romance? Should we? We are called to fear God and keep His commands. We show our love to God by keeping his commands as shown to us in the gospel of John. Do we have the respect and fear of God anymore? Do we understand our role in the relationship? Submissive, subject, creation not Creator. What first impressions does God get from us? Our hearts. And how is your heart, my heart, and the hearts of those he sees? I know when I went on the first date with my wife I didn't think I made a very good impression but as I have fallen in love, the relationship has gone deeper than romantic feelings and so does our relationship with God.

Good post Darin! :-)

8:32 AM  
Blogger Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

There is "romance" in our relationship with God for sure. Saints have testified to this for centuries. Who cannot read Bernard of Clairvaux on love in the SofS and not be moved? Not me!

Yet, I am afraid we do a diservice to folks if we convince them that intimacy is always ecstasy with God. The Psalms testify to intimacy and yet they also witness powerfully to the GRIT of walking with the Lord.

One of the great positives of a regular meditation on ALL the Psalms is they provide material for a wholistic relationship with God. The pain, the grim, the "absence" even the anger that comes with any real relationship. God in his grace gives us the tools to articulate it.
Sometimes we worship with our teeth clenched! To claim otherwise is to mislead the faithful.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine

11:35 AM  
Blogger Falantedios said...

Sometimes our intimacy with our loved ones is with gritted teeth. I've been so angry with my wife before that I could not speak (and likewise for her, I promise... I'm not an easy person to live with)

Yet even if we laid down for bed angry, we're STILL together. Real intimacy means knowing even the ugliest things about each other, and remaining together because of your covenant.

in HIS love,
Nick

9:20 PM  
Blogger preacherman said...

Bobby,

You said, what I was trying to say and of course said it better. :-)

I believe we definately confuse the romance with ecstasy.

4:38 AM  
Blogger Darin L. Hamm said...

What wonderful additions to the discussion. I am honored to have such voices stop by my space.

Thanks to each of you. You bless me though we have never met. You enrich my faith journey immeasurably.

7:49 AM  
Blogger Falantedios said...

Darin,

Keep up the good thoughts and the challenging questions. I know when I come to Backtrack Journey, I'm going to have to think :)

You're in my prayers, brother.

in HIS love,
Nick

7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home