Thursday, November 02, 2006

One Step at a Time


I want instant. I love instant oatmeal, apple cinnamon hands down. I love microwave popcorn, the entire popping experience is confined to one pre-buttered and salted bag. I love convenience. Who can resist an instant sandwich already made or a window that dispenses a hot meal? I like easy, easy seems good. Easy means I have a remote control so I can flip by the countless channels I never watch. Easy means I have shampoo and conditioner all wrapped into one bottle, easy means I can self check out with that bottle if I desire.

Working in a faith community typically offers none of the above. I have seen very little when dealing with God that is instant, convenient or easy. I have been inspired by Philip Yancey’s The Jesus I Never Knew to look at Jesus temptation in a different way.

You see that is what Satan offered Jesus instant, convenient and easy. Satan offered Jesus instant, “You need food? Why not turn those stones into bread?” He also offered convenience. “Do you want to build a kingdom? I will give you all of the kingdoms if you will just bow down to me.” What about easy? “Throw yourself off the temple Jesus, you have nothing to worry about, your angels will make it easy.”

I don’t think I had ever put it in this context before. Satan is the one who offers instant, convenient and easy and though they seem best, we know that Satan is the father of lies.

It takes time. We have a man I will call Jack who has been gathering with us these past few months. He is a very helpful man and yet he still does some things that we good God-fearing Christians wouldn’t do. He is a work in progress. The fact that he comes each week says so much about what God is doing in his life and yet I struggle at times because I want to see him all cleaned up and pristine, just the way I think a good Christian should be.

Last night I was talking with our elder about this gentleman and I learned more about how far he has come. He was a heavy drinker and he has given it up. He hadn’t gathered with a fellowship for years and yet he has found a home in ours. He has some really interesting ideas and yet there he is worshiping God, trying to figure out what it might mean to be a Christ follower.

Someone might wonder if we have a proper discipleship program in place. Some formula that will help him move beyond some of these areas. Trust me I understand the desire but all I can think about is, did you want that in apple cinnamon or brown sugar?

Someone might tell you that you need a class for those reengaging their faith. We have a Faith 101 class and some other courses but isn’t expecting discipleship to take place on our hourly schedule convenient? Will that happen when it is most convenient for me, or should I realize that this journey will be one of inconvenience? No, I think he will still make mistakes but if I don’t expect easy will that come as a surprise?

My tendency has been to think I wanted it faster and sooner but when I realized those are the invitations of Satan I have decided I can wait. Trust me I’m not sitting on my hands but at some point I have to know that discipleship won’t be instant, convenient or easy and yet it will always be worth it. I am trying to resist taking these ways out because Jesus never did.

2 Comments:

Blogger Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

Impatience has always been one of my secret sins. I hope you pray for it.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine

11:57 AM  
Blogger Darin L. Hamm said...

Thanks for the comments guys.

Ben thanks for your feedback. That is a great way to look at it. We had this experience with two different cherry tomato plants this year.

I am going to file this analogy away. Thanks.

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home