Tuesday, October 24, 2006

The Theology of Marriage

I hate performing weddings. People stop by out of the blue and want me to marry them. When I tell them I have some things they have to go through before I will marry them they act as if I have asked for their firstborn. Why do people approach a minister like they approach McDonald's for a wedding? I keep waiting for someone to request super size. "Do you have that wedding on the dollar menu?" I have seen couples who would give more time for a drivers test than premarital instruction.

Why has marriage been cheapened so much in our world today? Is it just the nature of the battle? The image of wedding runs throughout scripture. We find the first man and woman in the very first wedding in the Garden. We see the church, the bride of Christ, celebrating and feasting in the coming Kingdom on our wedding day.

I have been reading a book entitled Let’s Start with Jesus by Dennis F. Kinlaw and he has reminded me about the beauty of this metaphor. What do you do to help those around you appreciate the power of marriage in the divine image?

I don’t think I have done very well. Any thoughts?

2 Comments:

Blogger Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

I do not know the answer to your question Darin. But I like the title "Theology of Marriage." I have been thinking about some things along this line for a few weeks now and need to put it on paper. I'll be back soon with some useless thoughts.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine

10:16 PM  
Blogger preacherman said...

Darin,
I have found that marriage in our society over the years has changed. Like you mentioned it is like a fast food drive up and have the preacher do it right away.
I recently was approached by a couple that wanted to get married. I always tell them that I will get back with them. I check them out first if I don't know them. Well, come to find out that the man was in the Mexican Mofia and they were wanting to marry because a spouse can choose not to testify against her husband. I declined of course. I found no dead horse in my bed but it really woke me up to the reality of how marriage has changed and how people see marriage today.No committment. People just don't take it serious. It is harder to get a CDL than a marriage lisense.

I was also at a wedding recently where the vows were changed to "until our love ends" instead of "til death do us part". Is it any wonder why we see the divorce rate what it is?

Good thoughts.

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home