Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Authority

Why do you think authority bothers us so much today? Help me understand why no one seems to want to be under anyone’s authority. Is it because of abuse? Is it because of what happened in the 60’s? Did Richard Nixon forever put the final death nail in authority? Did too many people die for no reason when they blindly followed authority?

I see an aversion to authority everywhere today. Do you want to lead? Sure, as long as you do it exactly how I would do it and want it done. If you do something I wouldn’t have done than I will no longer follow. What is leading about that?

What can be done about such an attitude about authority? Is there no hope? What do you think?

2 Comments:

Blogger preacherman said...

Darin,
Great post.

As Christians we must understand that we are have to submit to authority. Peter talks about submitting to God, one another, goverment. I think it is the society of I am right and there is really no wrong that has made us loose all respect for authority. Also those who have been in authority in the past have abused it. Are we to respect abusive authority? Is authority earned? Demanded? I think it boils down to do we understand what it really means to submit.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Darin L. Hamm said...

Good questions preacherman. What should one do with abusive authority?

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home