Saturday, November 18, 2006

The Remote Control


Oh how I hate when the remote control falls into my wife’s hands. She seems to have this knack of waiting for me to get interested in a program before flipping the channel or passes by so quickly that I never know what is happening. Let’s face it, we often have two distinctly different tastes in programming.

In the end I often time migrate into the other room with the computer and our other television. I can surf the internet while I watch whatever programming I like. I don’t have to worry about the channel ever resting on the Food Network or Home and Garden. I can be assured that ESPN and ESPN2 will get plenty of air time no matter how many times I have seen the episode of the World Series of Poker. I am fully in control.

The problem is this ability to control pushes me away from my wife. We spend less time together whenever we don’t agree on what to watch on TV. I noticed that it impacts our relationship. It makes us more distant. It becomes harder to connect. That is what control does. Control kills relationships.

It is unfortunate that we often times fight for control in the church today. Whether it is modern or postmodern, contemporary or traditional. The struggle for control, who gets to set the channel, is a guaranteed recipe for division and disassociation. It only helps push believers apart.

This evening I went shopping with my wife. I didn’t want to, no part of me dreamed about going to Wal-Mart and standing in line with groceries and a couple of Christmas presents. What I did discover though was that when I focused on building our relationship instead of how much I would choose something different, the experience was a lot better. Maybe we could all use less control in our life, what do you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home